The Crown and Manor came into existence in 1939 when the Hoxton Manor joined forces with the Crown Club, our origins, however, began 36 years earlier.
In 1903, the New North Road Club for lads was founded by the rev Claude Eliot the vicar of Christchurch, Hoxton. The club was initially located in premises in nearby Poole Street which soon proved inadequate in size. The Club then moved to Bridport Place and were located on the corner of the clubs present premises in Wiltshire Row. In 1907 the club underwent a name change to the Claude Eliot Lads Club in memory of its founder who died prematurely. In 1921 a decision was made for another change to the Hoxton Manor. Three years later following a period of financial instability, the Manor Trust, the body that managed the Eton manor Club came to the clubs aid and arranged for the building of new purpose built premises on Wiltshire Row.
A mile away, the Ely Place Boys club was founded in 1926 by Harold Llewellyn Smith and Philip Nash who were later joined by Harold’s brother Arthur. The size of the premises also proved inadequate and they later moved into the disused Crown public house in nearby Lynedoch Street and changed the name of the club to the Crown.
The premises of the Hoxton Manor club, initially closed on the outbreak of WW2 were offered the Crown Club management who were seeking new premises. The offer was on the understanding that Hoxton Manor members were incorporated into the new club with support from the Winchester College Mission. The new amalgamated Crown and Manor Club opened in 1939 with a membership of 150 boys.
After more than 80 years of use, repairs to the Wiltshire Row premises become a regular and costly problem so a decision was taken to sell the site and build a new club. In 2010 the club moved into temporary accommodation while the site was redeveloped. The new club building was completed and the club returned to Wiltshire Row in February 2013. The new state of the art custom built premises comprises of a full sized multi-purpose gymnasium, games room, two classrooms, ICT suite, weights room and a board room cum history room.
The club continues to be supported by the Winchester College Society an association which began in the mid 1930's through the involvement of Harold and Arthur Llewellyn Smith.
The Club is now established as a limited company and registered charity: its board of directors- or Council-comprises club old boys, locals, and a number of old Wykehamists.
The London Metropolitan Archives holds many of the old club records but the club itself has a wide range of archival material at its premises.